US Border Patrol Blocked Canadian Women At The Border After Revealing That They Were Going To The March

Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons

According to the Guardian, several different groups of women were stopped by U.S. border agents on Thursday and were searched and fingerprinted once they found out the women were on their way to Washington D.C. for the Women’s March.

One of the groups that were stopped consisted of six Canadians and two French nationals who were traveling together in two different cars. The demonstrators were stopped at a land crossing checkpoint between St Bernard do Lacolle in Quebec and Champlain, New York.

Canadian Sasha Dyck, claims that when the agents stopped them, they were completely honest about where they were going.

“We said we were going to the women’s march on Saturday and they said, ‘Well, you’re going to have to pull over,’” Dyck said.

She claims that for the next two hours they were treated like criminals. The French citizens were immediately denied entrance into the country and were told that they would need visa’s to enter the country.

“Then for the rest of us, they said, ‘You’re headed home today,’” Dyck said. Border agents told them that if they tried to come into the U.S. again during the weekend, they will be arrested.

“And that was it, they didn’t give a lot of justification,” said Dyck.

She said that when she came to Washington in 2009 for President Barack Obama’s inauguration, the border agents acted totally different.

“I couldn’t even get in for this one, whereas at the other one, the guy at the border literally gave me a high five when I came in and everybody was just like, ‘welcome,’” she said. “The whole city was partying; nobody was there to protest Obama the first time.”

The Guardian’s Ashifa Kassam wrote that “After being questioned, fingerprinted and photographed, Kroese and his Canadian companion were refused entry because they were planning to attend what the border agent called a ‘potentially violent rally’… The pair was advised not to travel to the United States for a few months, and Kroese was told he would now need a visa to enter the U.S..”